I had no clue what to expect when I saw this movie. After the trailers I figured it would be a by the numbers thriller. I was wrong.
This movie is one of the most dark, artistic, sexual movies I have ever seen. I can barely think of what to say about it, it was simply fantastic. The story follows Nina Tayers(Natalie Portman) as she tries out for a beautiful play called Swan Lake. That's the most I can say without giving anything away. Rest assured you will feel comfortable at the beginning but as the movie picks up speed your mind will be racing to keep up with the amazing web that this story weaves. Now lets get to the comparisons.
- Natalie Portman gives one of her best performances and exceeds any expectation anyone would have prior to seeing this
- The editing and cinematography kept you on edge and wanting to know where the characters were going to take you next.
- Mila Kunis(Lily) gives the performance of her life in my opinion, far exceeding any belief I had about her leading up to this movie.
- All of the supporting actors play their part perfectly and helped push the story along.
- This may be the best soundtrack of the year, keeping with the ballet theme everything is in perfect rhythm with an orchestra. the violins sound like they are crying. Simply beautiful.
- Unlike some movies, the climax was worth every moment you spent waiting to find out what happens.
- While this is obviously just an opinion the movie is drenched is sex and is very graphic, not a good movie to watch with mom or really any close family.
- They don't give much background on the characters except for the main one. This is a minor problem for me because everything revolved around Nina.
- Due to how dark and sexual it is, it will not be for the easily offended or squeamish.
I know I'll catch flack for this but I give it 5 out of 5 stars. I've seen very few movies that even come close to the beauty and finesse of this one. This is definitely one to buy.
*All pictures are property of their respective owners*